Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Revised Easy Scrapple recipe

1 lb country sausage ... pre-seasoned, breakfast sausage that you like
2 cans (4 cups) chicken broth
1 cup cornmeal or polenta ... I like white cornmeal but have used yellow as well as polenta
1 package gelatin

Fry the sausage and "dice it" into small bits. I do this with a spatula as it is frying. Drain.
Heat 3 cups chicken broth and season to taste. I add Italian seasoning and paprika and black pepper.
Dissolve cornmeal in remaining cup stock.

When stock in pan simmers, add meat. Add cornmeal mixture. Add gelatin.
Simmer and stir until very thick. Pour in loaf pan, cool, refrigerate.

Slice, flour, fry for breakfast.

The addition here is the gelatin, which was part of the oyster scrapple recipe I made ... works with pork, too. I tried 2 packages, as with oyster, but that's too much, texture wasn't right. One package is perfect. Helps keep it together, perfect.

This, of course, is not traditional scrapple but it's a close clone. I've made traditional for decades but this is quick and easy and has its own appeal as a breakfast meat.

No comments: