Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sweet 16

There are three teams left I care about, more than usual at this time since I generally root for underdogs: Cornell, Washington and St. Mary's. All are considerable underdogs as the dance continues tonight. So we'll see who if anyone is left for the weekend. When these three are gone, I'll be more interested in the women's tournament, to see if Connecticut can continue and threaten UCLA's 88 game win streak.

Drafted my new syllabus yesterday. Check it today and take it to the printer. Determined to listen to the score I have so far, hoping I get reinvigorated on this project that has slipped away from me recently.

Received one of the best ... what, fan letters? ... an email from my former grad student in Saudi Arabia, where my reader finally arrived after two months in the mail. Apparently the package looked like it had been through the old Soviet Union's censor bureau or something. At any rate, it was a good email to get and was appreciated  for the right reasons. I've had half a dozen or so students over the years, mainly grad students, to whom I've made a difference. This by far is the best thing about teaching. There are many drawbacks as well but these moments outshine them.



Usually the ruling party suffers losses in an off-year election but I'll be disappointed if the Democrats don't gain some progressive and popular momentum from the health care bill and especially from the Republicans response to it. Of course, the crazies will be out in greater volume than ever and I've been worried about Obama's security since the beginning. I'm worried more than ever.

I can't believe there isn't a single Republican  who will rise to leadership against all this crap. Where are the great Republicans of the past like Tom McCall and Mark Hatfield, two Oregon Republicans? Where are the Republicans of principle? The present leaders sound like negative meatheads.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, none of the great Republicans have a chance to get past the primaries in their state elections any more, because the party has been hijacked by the wingnuts. This is very bad for Democrats, too. Any majority party benefits from a strong and sane opposition party, willing to work across the aisle. Helps keep the hubris in check.