Monday, March 08, 2010

Oscars

They get less interesting every year. I was shocked that AVATAR, the most successful film of all time, didn't get Best Picture. I haven't seen THE HURT LOCKER but several of my students wanted it to win. Still, I thought $ucce$$ would make the difference. I'm reminded of when CRASH won a few years ago, and SLUMDOG last, a serious indie beating out the blockbusters.

All I really cared about was Jeff Bridges winning, and he did. I always enjoy the Golden Globes more than the Oscars anyway. AVATAR beat out LOCKER there. Interesting.

Still, there's a point to be made, as done on a comment to a news article today: "I have never understood Hollywood...How do you direct the single most successful movie is history with technology you invented and not get best director or picture."

No comments: