Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Passion

I did some planning and writing on The Navy Wife and discovered no passion for this project, not enough to pursue it at a time when the feeling that "time is short" influences the decision on how I spend my time. I retain passion for the vocal score and a new video has me brooding, more encouraging signs of actual development of a project. This material hasn't been a monkey on my back, even though I've thought about this story for decades. It doesn't matter that much to me if I do it or not. I believe this means the project is dead.

But the video, a new one, has moved forward, another personal one. And of course I retain focus on the vocal score. So it's not as if I'm mentally inactive.

First class went well. Off and running.

LATER. I started a narrative for the new video and the difference in "passion" between this and the writing I did on the short novel is astounding. This video has grabbed me. The other didn't. It was "there," a good story, a personal story, but so what if I don't write it? This one, I have a sense of urgency, a sense that this needs to be done. This is the way writing should be, urgent, necessary. And, of course, the narrative is just a guide to the images, to the video itself. I may even start shooting soon.

No comments: