Friday, October 10, 2008

Radio interview

I'm being interview this afternoon by Wayne Potter for his Keeping Kurrent radio show, on the OMNI Media Network (Tuesdays, 2pm) and later archived on the web. I'll provide a link when it's up. He wants to talk about contemporary issues of publishing and literature, the kind of things I write about in my blog.

I don't do many interviews any more. During my most visible decades, the 70s and 80s, this sort of thing happened regularly, but I can't say I've missed it. I'm far less interested in "publicity", indeed in all the social wrappings of the arts, than I used to be. This is more true all the time as I age, it seems, especially recently when I've been fascinated by a subtle change in my process and the suggestion that eventually I'll do all my work in my head, not even bothering to put it on paper. This sounds like the ultimate action of "art for art's sake" -- one doesn't even communicate the work or give it body for future communication! I'm far from being there yet but I sense the shift, however slight at the moment, in this direction. In a sense, this is the same mental journey Brown reveals in Love's Body but it all seemed so theoretical before. Now I am beginning to sense it more in my own writerly rhythm. Fascinating stuff.

The last radio interview I did was on our local public radio station. Publisher Joe Bianco and I plugged the new anthology I edited, Oregon Fever. Access the interview here.

No comments: