Friday, October 10, 2008

The Phillies

Saw the end of the Phillies game last night, Phillies beating the Dodgers 3-2. I'm rooting for the Phillies, my dad's team, since my teams (Mariners, Giants) are long gone. I saw my first major league game in Philadelphia, Phillies v. Cubs, in 1950 when they won the pennant. Moreover, as a grad student in the 60s and early 70s, the Eugene had the AAA Phillies team. I have many fond memories of beer and peanuts at an Emeralds game with a dozen fellow grad students. Indeed, in one memorable game, when it was announced that beer was a quarter (I believe it was) through the entire fourth inning, something like a dozen runs were scored in the 4th! The inning lasted forever and few of us stayed upright for the 9th. Ah, great times.

I never liked the Dodgers. I rooted for the Angels in the old Pacific Coast League. I hated the Hollywood Stars. I hated the Dodgers, especially when they came west. But I did see a lot of Dodger games because my in-laws at the time had fancy season box seats. But this was baseball? No beer and peanuts. We sat in office chairs at small tables, being served by Hollywood starlet waitresses, drinking martinis and eating stuffed mushrooms. Seems like another life, so long ago. I hated going to those games but didn't see a way to get out of it without destroying the marriage, which, of course, eventually happened anyway.

One thing I miss about not being a grandpa is having no grandkid to watch in baseball, soccer, basketball, etc.

No comments: