Saturday, October 25, 2008

Happy birthday to me ...

... in an hour, and I just may be up. I'm up past my bedtime, having stayed up to watch the World Series. The Phillies, which took a 2-1 game lead tonight, was my dad's team. First big league ball game I ever saw was a Phillies home game against the Cubs, maybe 1948 or so. They won the pennant in '50 but I think it was before that. Richie Ashburn hit a home run, I remember.

Maybe I'll grab the dog and do a late night cruise, see what the street life in NW is like on a Saturday night. Been a long, long, LONG time since I was a part of that. Close down Seafood Mama's at 2, go to Quality Pie for breakfast, get home after 3 (unless you got wind of a neighborhood party to crash at QP and stumbled home at sun rise). Back when NW Portland was "just like Greenwich Village used to be," at least according to my NY agent at the time. I'm glad I was there to experience it because it's long gone.

5 comments:

M.T. Hand said...

Happy Birthday, Charles. Hope you enjoy your cruisin'. I remember a few times we did that into the wee hours, like that time we kept trying to elude Marty Christiansen.

Helluva weird baseball game. I thought Moyer pitched about as well as I've ever seen him. Got screwed on that bunt call where he made a fantastic play.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Happy Birthday, Charles!

Charles Deemer said...

Now there was a sport, dodging Marty!

andresespejo said...

Happy birthday Charles!

J.Covington said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a great day.