Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Youth and inspiration


This is the Moment my Generation has Been Waiting for
by CaelanAegana

Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 01:58:19 PM PDT

As many "twenty-one-ish" adults in my economic bracket did, I spent a large chunk of my adolescence watching The History Channel's documentaries about the 1960's. I listened to my parents' stories and subtle revolutionary music.

I can recite most Jackson Browne songs by heart.

While we may be some distance away from rioting in the streets, drug cults, and revamped cult folk rock (accounts vary), there is a stirring in my heart that is at once unique and familiar.

We are about to radically change the culture of this country. It's about damn time.

...


My generation strongly supports gay rights, women's rights, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion. We believe in a flourishing, multifaceted media. We believe money isn't speech, and that access to the internet, music, knowledge, discourse, healthcare and social security should be free and available to all. We know that there are people out there who need a little help from the government in order to help themselves.

We are sick and tired of being told by the older generations, who have forgotten what it means to be newly in the world, that they know better. We are not apathetic; we have been suppressed, waiting for that spark to light the fires of passion.

We have found it.

This is the moment my generation has been waiting for. This is what the 1960's was to our parents. This, right now, is meaning. It would be so foolish to let it slip away.

Source

Man, would I love to see a landslide! It might renew my faith in my fellow citizens. We'll see what happens.

No comments: