Saturday, June 25, 2011

Writing in the present tense

One of the more fascinating aspects of my creative process is how regularly I respond to accidental images and information that I encounter along the way. So it is with the novella now. I read a book review that sounds interesting, which leads me to another book, which I pick up, and suddenly its content impacts my thinking, and therefore my writing, on the work at hand. It always works this way. I always randomly, it seems, encounter something that influences what I am working on. It can be anything. A book, a movie. Something I hear on the radio. A news item. A stranger I meet. A memory that suddenly possesses me. My work is open to all influences even as it is happening. My work happens in a charged, energized present tense.



Read the book of poems cover to cover, I'm glad it's out there.

No comments: