Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A major re-edit

Up bright and early to work on The Farewell Wake. The 2010 director's cut comes in at 96 minutes. I just finished a new version that comes in at 77 minutes -- 19 minutes less! Have to let it sit for a while and go back and watch it. I hope to have it online by the end of the week and then make a few DVDs for friends. But an hour and 17 minutes is quite a difference from over an hour and a half. I eliminated the mad professor, the side trip details to SF, tightened other things. I think this will end up being the definitive version, a year after the fact. Very interesting process indeed!

Caputo memorial today. I think I'll skip it. I thought of going but we weren't that close, although he was a major resource on my Fornara essay. When I interviewed him a year or so ago, it was the first time I'd seen him in over ten years. Many of the old theater crowd will be there but at the same time, knowing myself well, I fear some ghosts may be there as well and I don't want any distractions from the good space I'm in now. I also awoke with scenes from the novella playing in my head, so I'm raring to go. A script to read this morning and that's it.

I'm really glad I returned to THE FAREWELL WAKE and tightened it even more. I know damn well this is my one and only feature film.

No comments: