Sunday, August 08, 2010

Dreaming like a director

In the dreamlike brooding of waking up, I suddenly saw how to shoot a difficult, critical scene at the wake, which will be located here. It not only is cinematic but solves some problems of story exposition in a clean dramatic way. I'll definitely use it since, ha ha, I even remember it. Once again this points out the difference between screenwriting and filmmaking since this "shot" was of no concern to me while outlining, or even during writing, the script. It's a practical problem about how to shoot a certain scene on a certain deck at a certain house with a certain floor plan and window placement. Very practical stuff.

I am hoping that a week from Monday, when I'll have auditioned most of the actors, I have a cast. The biggie is Friday when I see the most actors and also when I see the actor who I hope will be "the lead," the focus of the story, the avant-garde director. If not him, I have one other possibility, someone I've worked with, who has the look but I'm not sure I can get him to have the attitude, which is more important.

This afternoon, an important interview for the Shaw project. Tomorrow, my first cameo shoot for the feature. Onward, onward.

No comments: