Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring

Today felt like the first day of Spring. While not exactly warm, at least it wasn't cold. The sun stayed out. Tomorrow is supposed to be even better, and I hope to spend some time with my wonderful Scott push mower.

Getting a second wind for the grunt work of assembling the branching narrative clips. I'll use the character videos as resource. Interesting thing about editing: the challenge always seems to be how to edit around errors, either technical or acting. For example, Holly decided to name her character Heidi, not Holly. Some of the actors called her both at different times. Usually I could edit lines using Holly out. However, in one essential monologue, Holly was used and I went into the sound wave and chopped out a bit in the middle and managed to get something sounding like Heidi with a British accent! Fascinating ha ha. I don't think any of the character videos got by without editing around some mistake or other. Nature of the beast.

What is missing in film hyperdrama, compared to live performance, is any sense of counterpoint. In live performance, I love the playing of scenes against one another when I am standing between them.

Peeking ahead at the Finale class, we have some heavyweight work ahead. We add more instrument parts -- bass, drum, jazz quartet -- and arrange them. I wonder if I'll be able to keep up. And I am not the slowest one in the class so far either, thanks to my good computer skills. It will be interesting how many keep up to speed.

Actually I feel like I'm getting two classes for the price of one. In the MIDI lab, I work on a Mac using the 2007 version of Finale. At home, a PC with 2008. So I have two learning curves.


as long as you and i have arms and lips which are for kissing and to sing with
who cares if some oneeyed sonofabitch invents an instrument to measure Spring with

--e.e. cummings

No comments: