Tuesday, April 01, 2008

In my office

Ah, my comfy little office at the U. Actually it's nice to be back in my normal routine. Teaching is not an interruption of my "real work," as shit jobs can be, but a welcome break from it. I need to be led out of the basement from time to time ha ha.

Eager for Sunday and the final shoot. I'll spend time Saturday making sure I have all the bases covered. I received an email from the hypertext conference, my official "acceptance" for the hyperdrama project. This is great fun putting together, though also a ton of work. The real work will be the "audience choice" narrative sequence. These character stories are relatively easy in comparison. On the other hand, I think they'll be a way to slice up the character stories to make it somewhat easy to assemble the "real" hyperdrama package, the one in which each view selects the narrative path. There will be so many branches and paths, is the deal, so it's as much an organizational challenge as any. By that stage, it will be more grunt work than creative work. The creative work goes into the individual stories. When it's done, this will be quite a presentation, I think. And, of course, I still have the "nuts and bolts" video to do.

I have a longer than usual waiting list for my screenwriting class. I hope they don't all show up or it will be a zoo. Today is introductory stuff, Thursday we hit the ground running, watching CASABLANCA, mainly as an example of beginning-middle-end storytelling strategy.

Had a long chat with Phyllis Kerns, my 85-year-old writer friend who has become blind to reading text (but who still drives!). She's looking for a collaborator with whom to do a play about Victoria Woodhull, a return to her favorite material. Her screenplay about Woodhull, which I read decades ago, was my introduction to this remarkable woman, who ran for President in 1872 and was a hell of a lot more interesting than H.C. I should do a video interview with Phyl for the journal.

No comments: