Thursday, April 24, 2008

Office hours

I have two students who are still screenwriting as if they're writing a novel, and I'm puzzled why they don't "get it." I've rewritten over-wrought prose to proper screenwriting economy ... I've shown many examples of good screenwriting ... I've emphasized the "blueprint for a movie" aspect over "literary document" aspect ... I've pounded in the idea of lots of white space and verticality on the page ... and then they turn in huge single-spaced paragraphs of descriptive prose. How do I get to them? It's not a matter of "skill" but of understanding what the hell they're supposed to be writing. We'll try again. Most, fortunately, "get it" and a few are already getting good at it. But I don't understand what the block is to the few who don't get it. Next week I meet one-on-one with everyone, maybe I can get through then.

Music theory was a bit of a waste today, full of storytelling by our teacher, but that's cool. At least we're moving on into the next chapter. We've been treading water while folks learn their 7th chords.

Saturday is going to be devoted to my screenplay. I must rewrite the ending and get it off to my agent. It's less than an hour's work once I'm back into the rhythm of it. Saturday! I must.

Actors are sitting on ready for the summer silent comedy. What a great group. We'll be doing this one a little differently, far more rehearsal and concern for style and look.

No comments: