Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"Men and their penises"

As my wife was leaving the house this morning, the news carried a story about the NY gov's resignation after being caught in the call girl sting. "Men and their penises," she grumbled.

I think this comment hits the heart of a gigantic cultural misunderstanding and problem. The gov's problem, and the serial killer's, and your next door neighbor's, is at root a failure of the imagination, just as Norman O. Brown has it in his classic and brilliant work, Love's Body. The disease is literalness. The gov's problem is not that he feels he must stick his dick into a woman, or whatever the hell he's up to (one never knows!); it is that he believes the only way to do this is literally to do it. He misses what Brown calls "the true war," the mental war, "the Fiery Chariot of his Contemplative Thought." In other words, he's playing out his frustrations on the wrong battlefield. This cultural addiction to literal events over imaginative events is everywhere (I recently blogged about the "true story" bias in Hollywood). The culture has lost its imagination, it's ability to experience real, true events imaginatively. Once you learn how to do this, of course, literal action not only is unnecessary but less satisfying. "Doing nothing, if properly understood, is the supreme action," writes Brown. In this frantic, noisy culture, nothing could sound more un-American.

4 comments:

Susanne said...

I completely agree. I have, the last year, been sending out a query for my first finshed novel. After recent events, I feel I should claim it to be a memoir. I am quite sure I could at least get a read that way. And after publication, the controversy of it all would surely propel the second book!

Seriously, isn't it sad!! My kids, who are 7 and 5, pretend all the time and I find that they are among the few. Most kids only use their imaginations when acting out a video game they are playing.

Can you imagine, what entertainment will be like when we are counting on them to come up with it???

Charles Deemer said...

Thanks for posting. I'm not used to having someone agree with me ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Right observation, wrong assumption.
The gov is too wealthy for his job.
Sex and dillydallyance are just a pastime. The rich have their own rules.

Charles Deemer said...

Disagree. The wealthy are not immune from the diseases of western civilization, which is what Brown addresses. On the contrary, dillydallying is always LITERAL among them, and more frequent to boot, so the rich are even better barometers of the problem. The problem is needing to be literal.