Thursday, January 03, 2008

A good birth

Both Andy at Blackbird Wineshop and I are delighted with our first night in the new First Wednesday series. We had a decent crowd, the readings went well, and the atmosphere for this sort of thing was perfect. I read a poem, Advice to an Artist on Choosing a Wife, and a very short story, Meeting Nicole Kidman; Evelyn Sharenov read a moving essay based on her experiences as a mental health nurse; Paul Pintarich read the opening of a hilarious novel-in-progress in which the protagonist is a male blow-up doll; and Judith Richmond sang three fine songs. Joshua Weber, also scheduled, came down with the flu and will be rescheduled.

Next month we'll show a short video, which I want to make a regular part of the evening. As a matter of fact, I received some compliments last night on my short video, "My Meeting With A Movie Producer," which actually is mostly autobiographical and only slightly exaggerated for comic effect.

No comments: