Friday, January 11, 2008

More lessons: clawhammer banjo


I taught myself 5-string banjo in high school with Pete Seeger's book, never getting past the bumpditty basic stroke (upstroke with the index finger). I played a lot in the Army, then sold it and never played again until recently. This time I want to learn clawhammer or frailing style, which is a downstroke method.

There are instructional videos, good ones, on YouTube and DVD, lots of books on the subject. I can pick up much of it but I want to make sure I get the basic strum down correctly, so I'm signing up for a lesson each from two different teachers (always makes for a more interesting education) and after that, maybe I'll stick with one of them, or none and learn the rest from books and videos. But I want to start off with the right technique.

Pretty rusty in piano class today. Lots of practicing to do.

No comments: