Sunday, January 20, 2008

Emails from the past

I received a mind-boggling email this evening:


Come quick! I've found the most beautiful green stone.

Luke Warm

Tom "Luke" Warm is one of my earliest Army buddies. We were at the Army Language School at the same time, 1959-60, studying Russian and sometimes served in Germany together. The reference, you may know, is from Zorba the Greek by Kazantzakis, a book that inspired lots of discussion at the time. I saw Luke briefly as a civilian when we were in L.A. at the same time but after I moved to Oregon for graudate school (1966), lost touch. So it's been a hell of a long time. Interesting, what with thinking today of Baumholder 1961, my Cold War novel, an experience he shared.

No sooner do I reply to this than I get an email from Tom Strah, who played Jerry in the Albee production mentioned in an earlier post. I had reconnected with Strah recently but I haven't seen him since leaving the Eastern Shore in the late 70s. He'd seen the blog entry, which inspired a brief note.

I'm watching the Packer-Giants game in my basement office, while doing email, paying bills, and plucking the banjo, trying to get the clawhammer right hand smooth. And an interception was just fumbled! A fun, close game to watch, unlike the frustrating earlier game when San Diego couldn't put it in from the red zone. This game is tied in the fourth quarter.

No comments: