Friday, October 05, 2007

Bugs in Cleveland, and other distractions


In the 8th inning of the NY-Cleveland playoff game, swarms of small bugs descended upon the infield, hovering like fog and bothering everyone. The NY pitcher, who had thrown only one wild pitch all year, threw two after the arrival of the bugs, letting Cleveland tie the game and eventually send it to extra innings. The bugs may have cost the Yankees the game, the Indians going on the win just now with a run in the 11th. The bugs were so thick you could see them easily, the players first spraying one another with bug spray, which didn't work very well, so then swatting them away as they also tried to play the game. Very strange to see!

Later I went searching for an automatic pencil, which was a greater adventure than I expected. When a kindly old gent finally showed me the correct department at the sprawling superstore, I faced a wall of 100s of writing instruments, among which I finally found TWO varieties of automatic pencils hidden among the ballpoints and markers and colored pencils. So I now am the proud owner of an automatic pencil.

Cabaret tomorrow, a matinee! Looking forward to it.

In piano class today, I was the only one close to playing Joplin's The Entertainer (a simplified version). Not sure why the others are having trouble.

H leaves on Wednesday, leaving Sketch and me to batch it for a month. She'll be gone during my birthday -- we usually go to Todai for a free birthday dinner. I don't think you can go alone and get it. Maybe I'll find someone to go with me.

No comments: