Friday, May 04, 2007

Spiderman 3



By my lights, this one is the best of the three. But first some context. I'm not really a diehard Spiderman fan. I didn't read the comics. The only superhero comics I ever read was Capt. Marvel. At any rate, I've enjoyed all three Spiderman films, each sequel better than its predecessor and for the same reason: the characterization gets more complex. At the same time, I can understand why someone coming from the comics might not appreciate the sudden human complexities.

Here we have a morality tale about the abuse and arrogance of power. Success goes to Peter/Spiderman's head, and all hell breaks lose. Moreover, he's infected with a virus that brings out his dark side. The plotting is masterful: numerous threads weave their way into single fabric, all speaking to Peter's journey. When it's time to crank up the story, it really cranks up. Action, special effects, a psychological drama, considerable humor and satire -- it's a full package, and for me it all works in the same direction and all adds up. I loved it. Great fun and also serious reflections on the abuse of power. Thumbs up.

No comments: