Monday, May 28, 2007

Pre-production

My camera should arrive this week, and I'm eager to start playing with it. I need to learn which kind of shots work best. Then I can start building a library of stock footage I might need, the establishment and transitional shots that go into any "moving pictures" story.

Of the entire process, I may most enjoy editing. I actually did some film editing as a young man, in the summer of 1966, just before entering grad school. We were housekeeping my folks' house in Medford while they visited relatives in New Jersey. My summer project was organizing and editing my dad's large library of 8mm home movies. From it I extracted a short film focusing on the considerable antics of my brother, which I called "Here Comes Artie Rainbow" (if I remember correctly). I loved choosing and extracting the strips of film and reassembling them. Digital editing will be even more involved -- and more fun, I'm sure. I think I'll be using Adobe Premiere Elements for this. The reviews suggest this software most will suit my purposes.

I've also ordered a CD of legal forms I'll need, primarily with the actors. Even though this is a non-commercial venture, I like to be upfront and professional. If by chance something came of our work -- winning a contest or something -- I'd use the same co-op ("shares") model that worked so well when I produced hyperdrama in the 80s.

There're a zillion things to consider when you do something like this.

And ... ! Last night I finished the draft of the script. It's rough. But it's close, and that's the main thing. It also reveals, almost immediately, the parts that will be easy to shoot and the scenes that won't be so easy to shoot. I'm already making some changes that will make finding locations easier. Writers can forget about practical matters like this and put the story anywhere. But when you actually have to go there and shoot it, you put on a different mind set and look for easier ways to communicate the scene, that is, putting the action in more accessible locations.

In the heat of all this, of course, I've pushed aside my other projects. Now it's time to return to them. I feel more secure about the video with a script draft. I have three actors to whom to give screen tests, and I'm looking forward to meeting one Tuesday, a woman with a very impressive list of credits.

I have student scripts to read this morning. This afternoon, we want to check out a fair in town. Later maybe I can do some work on the music drama and/or novel and/or other screenplay. Busy, busy. I love it.

And there are only two weeks left of school, and finals week!

No comments: