Saturday, May 19, 2007

A new Moore "documentary"

I'm not a great fan of Michael Moore, even though I agree with his stand on most issues. I don't like his methods as a "documentary" filmmaker, which are more blatantly manipulative than I would prefer. He reminds me of BBC reporters who do interviews not to learn what a guest has to say but to get from them remarks to establish a pre-conceived thesis. Many liberals, alas, are as dishonest in this way as many conservatives are. Damn few investigators bring genuine curiosity to the material. Instead they bring a political campaign. They already know "the answers."

At a visit to Portland some time back, Moore gave the crowd the unlisted phone number of a local conservative radio show host. What an asshole (Moore). The radio guy may be an idiot but he deserves as much right to privacy as Moore himself, who in fact is the subject of a documentary more fair than his own. Moore reminds me of the Jiminy Cricket song, "It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it." He's a propagandist, which I consider a waste of his considerable talents and important ideas.

clipped from www.cnn.com

Healthy praise for Moore's 'Sicko'

CANNES, France (AP) -- "Sicko," Michael Moore's ferocious and funny attack on the U.S. health care system, got a warm welcome at the Cannes Film festival Saturday. At home, it has started a firestorm.

 blog it

1 comment:

John said...

Well, I would say propaganda can be an art form in itself. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be able to claim Tom Paine near the top of my list of heroes. hehe

Anyway, I did get to finally see [Moore's] documentary(?) on Bush and the war which was released in '04. Somehow, I came out of it liking Bush better than before LOL.

Not feeling sorry for Bush for the way Moore uses everything out of context and his "conspiracy theory" politics, but that I just hated the Bush Regime that much by the time I saw it.

Personally, I believe Moore would be a brilliant satirist, if he were to take that route. But I personally find some of his tactics to be, what's the word, unprofessional?