Monday, May 21, 2007

Today's tease

This one-act hyperdrama (use ibiblio link below to go to start page) has been produced several times in its Spanish version -- but never in English! I wrote it for a company in Santiago, Chile, a summer as "playwright in electronic residence." An amazing experience. If I were younger, if I had the energy and were not more interested in other things now, I'd find a space and direct this myself. Indeed, I proposed this to the theater department at the university but got no enthusiasm whatever for the project, despite the fact that acting in a hyperdrama is superb training for an actor since you so often move between script and improv. But this was a blessing in disguise: I can't think of harder work than directing a hyperdrama. I'd rather fiddle with my music dramas (now that I see the end of my fiction-writing days, I think I do). But I like this one a lot, even if it's never been done in English. Any adventurous directors out there? You haven't faced a challenge until you've directed a hyperdrama!
clipped from www.ibiblio.org

The Last Song of Violeta Parra

a hyperdrama in one act
by Charles Deemer

  • ALBERTO, 20s, the groom [begin]
    "Voltaire told us to tend to our own gardens. I think he was
    right."
  • JUAN (EL ROLO) RAMIREZ, 20s, the gallery manager [begin]
    "We were still determined to let the world know the truth
    about the death of Violeta Parra."
  • FRANCISCO LARRAIN, 40s-50s, an art critic [begin]
    "The weapon I choose is Wit, Eduardo. You're dead."
  • CARMEN EYZAGUIRRE, 40s, a business woman and art collector [begin]
    "The degeneration of culture is very real, I'll grant you
    that, but it does not mean that I have to pay for it."
  • GUILLERMINA, 20s, asst to Juan [begin]
    "I wanted to do something important in the world. To make
    a contribution."
  • LUISA, 20s, the bride, inheritor of the house [begin]
    "I want life to be a honeymoon."
  •  blog it

    No comments: