Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's eve

I've never been a great fan of New Year's eve, so have few memories of them. Lately I haven't even been awake to see it in. Maybe four or five years ago was the last time I celebrated at midnight, this downtown at Pioneer Square. We are invited to a party tonight, but it remains to be seen if I'll make it the duration. I am feeling better for the second day in a row -- but I'll take any precaution to avoid another relapse.

As a kid, I loved staying up and banging on pots with the rest of the family. As a young adult, there were parties to go to. I have no idea how I managed to drive home after them but apparently I did. Later, as a bachelor, I spent them in my local bar. But I don't have really fond memories of this holiday except as a kid banging pots.

Colorado Blvd, Pasadena

New Year's day is another matter. Growing up in Pasadena, this was a huge day with the parade and then the Rose Bowl game. I've cooked blackeyed peas every New Year's day for as long as I can remember, even when I was alone. And I'll do the same tomorrow. Blackeyed peas for New Year's, blackeyed peas for the Army-Navy game: probably the longest kitchen tradition I have left.

PCC

Interestingly enough, for all my years in Pasadena, I never saw the Rose Bowl game in person. Always had a party to watch it on TV at home. Now, of course, it's lost all tradition of being a Big 10 v. the Pac affair, the BCS screwing it up. There used to be a Junior Rose Bowl Game that was just as exciting, Pasadena Junior College (before it became City College) v. the best junior college who would accept an invitation. These were great games because you always had the home team to root for. I did go to some of these. I met my favorite teacher, who encouraged me to write, at PCC when I took a year of courses there after the Army. I also did my last two years of high school on the PCC campus while they were building the new school at Victory Park. And my favorite aunt was the secretary in the math dept at PCC. Many connections to this school.

Another great Rose Bowl affair was the Football Circus, which was a cross town rivalry between junior highs, high schools, and junior colleges, each school playing the other for a quarter. A big fund-raising event involving about a dozen schools, all the students packed into the Rose Bowl.

Many fond memories from my Pasadena childhood and youth.

No comments: