Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Last Days on Earth

A new documentary on the History Channel considers the seven greatest threats to ending life on our planet. Number one? Global warming.

An interesting near miss will occur on April 13, 2029, a Friday:

Friday the 13th is supposed to be an unlucky day, the sort of day you trip on your shoe laces or lose your wallet or get bad news.

But maybe it's not so bad. Consider this: On April 13th--Friday the 13th--2029, millions of people are going to go outside, look up and marvel at their good luck. A point of light will be gliding across the sky, faster than many satellites, brighter than most stars.

What's so lucky about that? It's asteroid 2004 MN4 ... not hitting Earth.

Read the story.


I don't expect to be around in 2029 but I may hang in long enough to see the beginning of serious consequences from global warming. Indeed they have started with the melting of glaciers at a far faster rate than expected.

Nothing like a doomsday documentary to wrap up the year.

I dabbled in a bit of writing this morning but my energy level is remarkably low. I assume it's the virus hanging on, though I no longer have the usual cold or flu symptoms. Mainly tiredness and lack of energy now. I do anything for half an hour and I'm exhausted. This state of affairs can't end soon enough for me.

No comments: