Sunday, May 13, 2007

Software versions

One thing I've done when reinstalling software after my crash is gone back to the 2004 version of Finale, the music notation program, rather than the 2006 version I had updated to. While the latter has much better playback controls, I find the earlier version better to use in composition and basic stuff. With the free 2007 Notepad, I can read post-2004 files, which the earlier version won't read, so that I can work with those using the more recent software. John still uses 2004, and I'm returning to it. Easier to upload, easier to use. I can see the advantages of 2006 for composers working with orchestras, and the new 2007 version makes more progress in playback, but for my lesser uses, give me 2004. This is not the first software program for which I've preferred earlier versions.

No comments: