Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Brooding progress

Been brooding about my new idea for structuring the Cold War story -- and I'm going to go for it with the new idea. This greatly reduces the commercial possibilities of the novel but screw it. I like it. It comes out of John Dos Passos, it's not like there's much new under the sun. But it's a story strategy I've never tried before. I figured out how to set part two up in part one so it's organic ... and I've got an idea how to extend this into a concluding part three. And it greatly enlarges the canvas I have for portraying the years of the Cold War. Plus gives me a great new eccentric character, the basis of part two. It just departs from the traditional "let's write English sentences" narrative so loved by readers everywhere. So you get this in parts one and three. In part two, hang on. Onward. (I already can hear what agents and editors would hate about this -- in fact, I could do a better job writing their put down than they can! What fun.)

No comments: