Sunday, May 20, 2007

Generations

From an email from a poet friend, about ten years my junior but old enough to have romped in the sixties:

Charles, how can anyone
pretend to believe that the experiences of old age, knowledge, and wisdom
can compare to the foolish acts of lust and thoughtless sexuality
that came with that energetic period of youth called the sixties? Charles, "tale" me
honestly, kids these days lack imagination. They can't even launch a protest or a riot,
much less a citywide orgy. What good are they?

Well, by my lights, they are too busy figuring out how to make a lot of money to be concerned with carefree riotous sexual happenings. But those happenings could be fun, couldn't they? And actually, in retrospect, some moments meant more than was appreciated at the time. William Blake had much to say about the advantages of excess: "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" and all that. High school in the 50s (rock and roll!), college in the 60s (sex, drugs!) -- does "coming of age" get any better than this ha ha?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charles and Friend,

Here's a plea from a member of the generation you're talking about for help in getting their own revolution started:

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/bryan_richards/2007/05/an_open_letter_.html

The fact that such a plea would be written highlights the problem, I think, which is that amongst this generation, even when there's a will to change, it's accompanied by a kind of timidity.

Nonetheless, your guidance would be much appreciated!

Charles Deemer said...

Why anonymous?

At any rate, I read the letter and comments you like to. I think what happens is best summarized by the signature I use in my email:

> I believe what really happens in history is this:
> the old man is always wrong; and the young people
> are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The
> practical form it takes is this: that, while the old
> man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man
> always attacks it with some theory that turns out
> to be equally stupid.
> -- G. K. Chesterton

That's part of it. Another, at least in my case, is the great number of assassinations became a real downer, the (unseen) enemy more formidable than I thought. I turned inward and became an artist.