Monday, February 20, 2012

Theatres taking fewer risks as funding dries up, warn playwrights | Stage | The Guardian

Theatres taking fewer risks as funding dries up, warn playwrights | Stage | The Guardian:

""When I started working in the theatre in 1987, artistic directors used to programme plays knowing they wouldn't find an audience because they believed in them heart and soul," he said."

I was very fortunate in my playwriting career in the 1980s to be in the right place at the right time with the right support system eager to help me. My new collection Eight Oregon Plays makes note of this: it is dedicated to Steve Smith, Gary O'Brien and Peter Fornara, the three artistic directors who supported my work; and to Bob Hicks, The Oregonian's drama critic, who told audiences the plays were worth seeing.

No comments: