Saturday, February 25, 2012

The last hurdle

OK, the country elected a black President. It's only a matter of time, I would hope, before we elect a woman President, a Latino President, and so on. But will we ever, ever elect ... an atheist President?

If I were the campaign manager for an atheist running for President, I think I'd want to emphasize:
  • humanist ethics and values
  • use selected Founding Fathers as models -- Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, discuss religion, free thinking, tolerance in our founding concepts
  • emphasize what the Constitution actually says, and doesn't say, about religion
  • emphasize Nature and Nature's laws (and Russell's argument about First Causes, if it comes to that)
  • put the Bible in historic perspective


Wait for the returns. Get 20% if you're lucky. In other words, never happen, the myth of our origins is too strong. American culture's distrust of "thinking" is too strong.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

May I share this blog post in it's entirety on my blog?

Charles Deemer said...

Permission granted.