Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Form

Did a little work on the outside-in project this morning. One thing that seems to be happening, in formal terms, is that I'm testing some theories I've developed about how the reading parameters on electronic devices may change the way stories are told. The new story is finding itself in such a non-traditional form, and this makes the project more interesting to me than content alone would make it. I'm very curious how this will turn out. I suppose I'm several months away from finding out. No rush, no stress, which is part of the very purpose of this very different writing exercise.

Meanwhile the new proof has shipped, so I should get it next week, maybe even the end of this week. I hope this is the last draft. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

This should be an interesting project. I haven't ventured into the reader device field yet, but I can feel that day coming. I have always felt that I was a 'tactile' reader, liking the feel of the paper in my hands, the anticipatory flicking of a page corner with my finger tip.

Screen reading for me has always been for short stuff, if it gets too long I find myself hitting the print key.

Charles Deemer said...

"Short stuff" is the basis of my experiment, a novel structured like a screenplay, not so much in terms of being visual but dramatically, in terms of a quickly paced short scenes. So far, so good, but far from decisive yet.