Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mellow

What a relief to have the midterms behind me as early as Saturday! Makes for a relaxing weekend. I actually did a little work on my new outside-in project, which must remain a mystery for a while. It's so different from anything I've done. Makes it fun and interesting. And that it's fluff makes it without stress.



In a comment below by Eric, an actor/journalist friend from Portland's Golden Age, I've been "outed" as "Charley Bob." Here's the origin of that.

I'm a Jr. and grew up on my middle name, Bob. I've always written under my first name, Charles. I went by Bob until I came to Portland after a divorce in the late 70s, when I introduced myself as Charles, my writing name. I've been Charles ever since. Now only a very few people still call me Bob, my brother among them.

Decades ago my brother had come to an opening of a play of mine. At the reception afterwards, the director took me aside and pointed out my brother across the way. You know this guy? he asked. Why? I said, curious. Well, said the director, he keeps coming up to people and saying, Hi, I'm Bob's brother. What a weirdo!

Once this story got out, some in the theater community began to call me Charley Bob, which I rather like.

No comments: