Saturday, February 18, 2012

Money machine

Half a century ago, if you'd told someone you were going into business to sell specialty coffees at the price of a hard drink (in those days), you'd've been judged delusional. I stood in a very long line with my "free drink" card at Starbucks this morning, marveling at how much business they were doing on a Saturday morning. The place was rocking. It usually is, with only a few dead spots during the day -- and this is one Starbucks out of a large number of them here, and indeed everywhere. What I marvel at is their continued good taste -- the jazz they pipe in, for example. The happy baristas (because they have health insurance, as my students explain to me).

I prefer Starbuckst to the New Agey joint up the street, which I find pretentious in its holier-than-thou sense of superiority. I once had a coffee date with an actress about a project, only she refused to step inside a Starbucks. Two can play this game. I refused to step inside her preferred New Agey coffee shop. Great fun! Where did we end up meeting? I can't remember. Maybe we bagged it ha ha.

Man, I am getting impatient to see my new proof. Maybe today. Maybe not.

Only one more student script to go ... probably do it tomorrow morning.

No comments: