Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Standing in line

I don't stand in a lot of lines these days but one I stand in several times a week is at Starbucks. I'm reminded of how much of a person's personality is revealed by how s/he stands in line. Today, for example: at Starbucks on my way to the university, stopping for my usual iced coffee, I found one person at the counter and a student standing some eight feet behind him. Are you in line? I asked. Yes. So here we have a person who gives the person in front of her eight feet. I give about two. Different notions of space, privacy, standing in line itself. Fascinating.

Here early, hope to do some rewriting on the novel. Busy class, going over their story ideas. I'm using the net in class more, a more labor intensive approach than before, but I think it will be helpful to students. That's the point ha ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived. In Germany several years Working for UPS. In their culture, spaces in waiting lines are meant to be filled. So if you leave room for just one person between you and next customer (or counter) a German citizen will move right in. They consider it a normal behavior, and of course Americans go crazy when this happens. One of the most interesting cultural clashes you can witness
Gale Davis
Pasadena

Charles Deemer said...

I remember from the Army. Hey, I grew up in Pasadena! PHS, class of 1957. Miss those brown mts.