Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rhythm

When I changed my teaching schedule this term, collecting work on Thurs instead of Tues, I didn't realize what a major impact this would have on the rhythm of my day. But I couldn't have made the change earlier because then I was a writer first, a teacher second, a writer who also taught. Now I seem to be a teacher who also writes. Teaching has come front burner, while before I wore my teacher's cap Tues-Thur only. I was obsessively protective of my writing time. Now, with the current short novel in progress, I am astoundingly relaxed, mellow and non-obsessive about my writing time. It happens as it happens. Part of the change is that I've done so much work already, I have nothing left to prove.

So this term is more relaxed than I've been in, well, maybe ever. It really does feel like a kind of semi-retirement. I like it.

No comments: