Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Baseball

Last night I got to watch the 5th game of the World Series from start to finish. I was rooting for Texas, where I started school, but St. Louis outplayed them. And yet SL couldn't score, leaving 12 stranded before it was over, and Texas went on the win, though clearly not the best team last night. I'll take it.

I like baseball for the same reason that many dislike it -- it is SLOW. Indeed my one and only essay on baseball, published over forty years ago in Northwest Magazine, is called The Last Slow Dance. You can see I was influenced by the New Journalism in this stylistic piece about the Portland Urban Minor League Baseball Experience.

Should be able to watch Wednesday's game, too. I'll miss Thursday, if there's a game, because of class.

No comments: