Saturday, August 06, 2011

"Senior living"

My model for "senior living," or what the rhythm of life might look like after retirement, or semi-retirement (well, writers never retire, do they?), was my favorite teacher, Bob Trevor. I've written about him here before:


This came to mind this morning because I now have a "routine" in semi-retirement, just like Trevor in Hawaii, and at the foundation of mine is my daily large iced coffee from Starbucks down the way. Everyone there knows me. They know what I drink and sometimes have it ready when I walk in the door, having seen me park. Yesterday H stopped by and got a coffee and for me all she had to say was, "And one for Charles."

Yet I am not living my fantasy rhythm. This would be in a small desert down in the southwest, within walking distance of a cafe or Starbucks with free wifi, a grocery store, a library, a community center of some kind. I don't expect to get there because H doesn't share the fantasy.

We have to make a decision in 2014, one that will change both our rhythms. To sell the house or refinance and stay? Last time we chose to refinance and stay but we'll be closer to 80 this time, it might be time to move into some kind of senior community. The yard work here already is too much for us and we've started hiring a young lad in the neighborhood, or H's grandson when he visits. We are isolated in a small house with lots of privacy and trees, so the change and adjustment will be major, to say the least. And the way time flies when you're old, the decision must be made tomorrow.

Of course, one or both of us may not live that long. I am far, far beyond my allotted years by any rational evaluation of my past life style. I enjoy an extraordinary gift from the gods in this respect. H, interestingly enough, because she is very conscious of having a healthy life style, while I ignore same, has more health issues than I do. This makes no sense to me. It makes less sense that I've outlived all my closest male friends, all of whom should have outlived me. I have no idea whatever why I'm still here -- but I am enjoying the gift, and I think a lot of good literature has resulted, though of course I am very biased on this issue.

So between now and 2014, decisions to be made. And our rhythm of "senior living" will change accordingly.

Meanwhile, I enjoy my present routine, and my daily iced coffee is an addiction I enjoy immensely. No, I'm not giving it up.

2 comments:

Bill Birnbaum said...

Best of luck in making the "right decision" regarding either keeping or selling your home. By the way, I find it interesting that you enjoy iced coffee. My mom also liked iced coffee. Seems to me that Starbucks calls its iced coffee Frappuccino. That's right, isn't it? A fancy term to support their higher prices. Bill

Charles Deemer said...

no, no, frap is a blended drink. what i get is just brewed coffee with ice, black, nothing in it.