Saturday, August 27, 2011

Nature

Watching footage of Hurricane Irene moving up the east coast, I wonder if maybe certain tribes have the right idea with their dances and rituals of magic, trying to placate Nature and at any rate declaring a fearful wonder to the Boss. We can get a bit too cocky in our own attempts to understand the wonders of Nature.

Seeing footage in Ocean City, I recall many visits there when I lived in Salisbury on Maryland's Eastern Shore not far away. In fact, once I was in both Atlantic and Pacific Oceans on the same day (!), swimming at Ocean City around sunrise before catching my flight west, which was like swimming in warm pee, and then around sunset wading in the freezing Pacific at Cannon Beach, just to say I'd been in both oceans on the same day.

No comments: