Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Newport Folk 2011: Ramblin Jack Elliott, Live In Concert : NPR

Newport Folk 2011: Ramblin Jack Elliott, Live In Concert : NPR

53 minute gem. Pete Seeger joins him. (Thanks for the link, Eric!)

He starts the concert as he traditionally does with Jesse Fuller's "San Francisco Bay Blues" and over the long years he's done many versions of it, this one a slower bluesy feel. I met, spent a few days with, and interviewed Elliott in the 80s and he warmed up considerably when I told him I had all the European records he'd recorded before he returned to the U.S. and Prestige picked him up, the Elliott-plays-Guthrie record I played endlessly in the Army. In the 60s I saw him many times at the Ashgrove. Anyway, it was an extraordinary interview here in the 80s, published in a shortened version in Willamette Week here. He's a giant and I've been a Major Fan since  I discovered him in 1960. I also highly recommend the documentary his daughter made, The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack. Available on DVD.

No comments: