Thursday, August 18, 2011

Decisions of the elderly

From a 9 a.m. medical appointment until now, it's been a day of dealing with the deteriorations of aging. A few months ago I had a hearing test, showing moderate loss in higher frequencies, explaining my experience, so I made an appointment, which was today, to explore options for dealing with it. What "they" wanted me to do would cost a couple grand (and this on the low end of things), which struck me as outrageous until I learned more, knew more, tried more. H agreed with me. So I spent the rest of the day doing research online and made a decision to try an option that is 10x less expensive. If it doesn't work out, I've lost a couple hundred, not a couple grand, a gamble worth taking. I can always trade up, as they say.

So I've done no writing today, which is why I am in my basement office in late afternoon, hoping yet to get a vignette done. But if I don't, well, sometimes to have to take a day off to take care of business. Tomorrow is Friday and Fridays can be productive.

Saturday I believe we're going to a tomato tasting event. Tomato tasting! I can't remember the last time I had a decent tomato, not counting the cherry tomatoes that H grows on the deck.

My knees have been better lately. Knock on my wooden head.

No comments: