Sunday, September 05, 2010

Levels of retirement

I'm finally beginning to feel "retired" as a writer. I don't mean this literally. I mean retired from the work rhythm that possessed me for over 40 years. My creative work has a different focus now. Indeed I can't imagine writing a novel -- I have neither the stamina nor focus for it. I thought I'd be writing screenplays until I drop because they're so much fun but maybe not, I found something even more fun to do: edit video. I first called myself "retired" as a playwright, then sneaked in a "posthumous play" and there may be others. I think I'll be doing more video projects but I'm not sure I have energy to do another feature. And I still expect to return to the animated chamber opera project, which I hope becomes front burner when the film is done.

I also don't expect to retire from teaching soon. It's the social highlight of my life ha ha.

But I definitely do not move through the hours, the days, the weeks, the months, as I did only a few years ago. I do have a level of retirement.

No comments: