Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tarantino Charged With Favouritism – Deadline.com

Tarantino Charged With Favouritism – Deadline.com

Favoritism or not, artistic competitions ALWAYS have more to do with judges than with artists. I've been a judge in literary and screenwriting competitions and my selections are MY selections. Another judge would select different winners. This fact is reinforced by the juries I've been on to make awards when disagreement can be extreme. Once, as I've related here before, I was one of three judges appointed to award ten scriptwriting fellowships from some 75 finalists. Each of us made our personal "top ten" list. Not one writer, NOT ONE, made two lists! We had no consensus whatever! What resulted is what often results in juried competitions, a compromise: each of us got our top three and we argued for hours about the 10th award. Competitions are a crap shoot.

No comments: