Monday, December 21, 2009

Librarians

I was snooping around my archive at the Univ of Oregon (doing this online, I mean) and came upon the recently cataloged DVD of my video Deconstructing Sally. What a thorough, first rate job! The summary is right on and, most impressive, the subject references are many, from college life in Oregon in the sixties to lesbians to male-female relationships. I assume an individual librarian has some leeway in defining these references, so this one gets accolades in my book. It's a complete and thorough catalog, making the work available from many different research directions, which is the point.

Librarians are in the front lines, holding down the fort, in a culture that is either declining in literacy or redefining what literacy means, depending on whether you came at this as a pessimist or optimist. They are unsung heroes at so many levels. Send good vibes to your librarian today.

No comments: