Friday, December 25, 2009

About Christmas

I've never been a huge fan of Christmas. It's not that I'm not a Christian, which I'm not; I enjoy the superficial trappings of the holiday, the lights and trees and bustle and carols. But at root it's a holiday for children and there have been very few children in my life. My holiday has always been, or used to be, Thanksgiving, particularly in the 60s and 70s when most of them were spent with very dear friends. Since then holidays haven't meant as much to me as, say, the Army-Navy game. Or the Rose Bowl Game. Or March Madness. Or the Triple Crown. Or the Summer Olympics.

Or rereading a favorite book.

But this Christmas has me in the best holiday mood I've been in in years. Not sure why. Maybe the recent flirtation with the Big C has shown light on the joy still possible in life. Maybe it's the mental battery charge, not yet matched with behavior, that also resulted.

I have renewed energy to do good work and appreciate good work. I want to branch into some new areas after I finish my three projects. For some reason, I have this desire to write a labor novel. I want to look again at some thinkers like Nietzsche. I'll never have time to do all these things but I'll do what I can. I don't plan to be bored when I pass.

Today, though, is just a mellow day, F playing a game on his computer, H read to put the roast beef in the oven (with yorkshire pudding), two guests due in two hours. A very mellow joyful Christmas, in fact. If only kids were riding new bikes outside...

No comments: