Friday, December 18, 2009

Easy scrapple

Just made a batch of scrapple,, using my doctoring of an "easy scrapple" recipe I found on the net. Purists wouldn't call this scrapple, which is fine. Call it something else. It is quick, easy, delicious and inexpensive.

What I do is this.

Fry a pound of country sausage and crumble it. Pour it into a pan with 2 cups of chicken broth. In a bowl, dissolve one cup of corn meal or polenta in another cup of chicken broth, then add to the sausage mixture. Season to taste -- a little sage, pepper, whatever (the country sausage I use is already spiced). Cook until thick (the spoon stands up in the pan easily) and pour into a loaf pan. Cool and refrigerate. To serve, slice into half-inch slices, flour and fry with breakfast. Outstanding! if not authentic scrapple.

I've made the real stuff but I no longer have a meat grinder, and this is a great substitute, believe me.

No comments: