Friday, August 01, 2008

Routine

Damn, it's wonderful to come down to my basement office at 5 in the morning and have the computer turn on! I love the routine of my life. I've always been a "routine guy," the stability of my life supporting the relative instability of my creative work. It's easier to write crazy things when your life is not crazy, contrary to what some may think.

This morning I discovered something else I had to reinstall. I'm sure this will continue for some time, odd things popping up that I've forgotten.

I need to spend some time on the computer in my office with the T1 line, and I think that will be tomorrow morning, Saturday. I also have to spend time tomorrow reviewing the Sunday shoot, which is more challenging than usual -- and longer, first a session in a club in Vancouver, shooting a choreographed tango; then to our home location in Tigard for bedroom scenes. We even do some shooting from under the bed.

I'm got my ducks in order to make August a big piano month. The right study materials ready to go. Not sure if I'll pick up classes in the fall again or not. May depend on how much progress I make on my own in August.

All is well, despite yesterday's crash. A small thing when you look at the personal tragedies in the world.

The human character must have been different centuries ago when there was an inverse relationship between the epicenter of tragedy and one's personal life. How different to learn the president has been assassinated or that thousands die in an earthquake days and even weeks after the event! Today the world's tragedies come to us in an instant. It's overwhelming. You have to turn it off. Centuries ago, the tragedies that most immediately affected you were located in your lap, your community, your neighborhood. No longer. How is the human character different as a result?

No comments: