Friday, August 31, 2012

We Are Writing the Epilogue to the World We Knew | Common Dreams

We Are Writing the Epilogue to the World We Knew | Common Dreams:

"While politicians fiddle, the world burns.  While the press plays he-said, she-said, the ice melts, the seas rise."

Curtain line to The Stiff:
NECK: Well, Charles, let's give the people their body.
CHARLES: I hope they don't notice the difference.
NECK: Perhaps we should cover the face as well. Just to be on the safe side. The eyes should suffice. Easy now ...

(The doctor is put into the casket.)

MRS. JONES: Charles?
CHARLES: Yes, ma'am?

(They regard one another. A beat.)

CHARLES: Do you want me to come back?
MRS. JONES: No. We can come back later. First I must make my appearance. I must show my grief.
NECK: The people would expect grief, madam.
MRS. JONES: What the people expect, they deserve. What they deserve, they get. Always.

(All exit and BLACKOUT.)

No comments: