Tuesday, February 01, 2011

On rereading my memoir

My memoir Dress Rehearsals came out in 2004. I haven't looked at it in 5 years or more, so it was interesting indeed to reread it over the last couple days. I come away with a few impressions.

  • At times my candor is shocking -- even to me. But it also is dramatically functional, so I wouldn't censor anything today.
  • I do a good job of showing how my personal experiences get reshaped in my work, with many examples. Hopefully useful to writing students.
  • My closing reflective chapters remain true to me today.
  • So much has happened since 2004! Indeed, I almost feel like coming out with a new edition, adding The Filmmaker chapter (2007 on). I may do this. I may not. If I do, I think I would rename it It's All Material.
  • I'm a tad "darker" today than I was then, I think. Maybe it's just getting older.
  • I own up to it. That's the bottom line.

There is no significant audience for this, although it has garnered a few fans. That's in no way surprising, of course. But here are two fans at Amazon.

No comments: