Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Morning musings

Standing room only on the bus in, maybe because of a snow forecast coming soon. Safe than sorry and all that. At any rate I like the bus except when we're packed like sardines.

I hobbled to school, making my usual stop at Starbucks, coffee and a cheese & fruit plate for lunch, to the office, here very early, which is fine by me. The world feels a tad more sane here in the academic cocoon.

About hobbling: I'm clearly a candidate for knee replacement surgery down the road but the thought of turning into a bionic man doesn't excite me. I think far too many of our serious problems are caused by our arrogance in "controlling" Nature. So I'm not sure what the hell I'll do if I become immobile. With a bit of luck I won't reach that point.

More and more I am thinking of a summer of writing and composing, not filmmaking. I really like my current novella idea because it would be a political novel, a dark comedy of a political novel, and I've never written one. And I want to write the art song for a music video later.

I "tried" to "retire" as a writer, honestly I did, but it ends up that writing is the only thing keeping me sane, sort of, on the planet. It's my way of being in the world. When I'm not writing, bad thoughts come to me.

My spring class is full with a waiting list, as usual. But first, a month to go on winter. Let's not get ahead of the game here. Some good writing going on now but a few still aren't where they need to be. They'll get there, I think.

No comments: