Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Varieties of scrapple

I usually eat scrapple in one of two ways. Most often, I heat a slice in the microwave, put it in a bowl and cover it with oatmeal and milk. Otherwise I coat a slice with flour and fry it. But this morning I tried something different, putting a slice in an egg wash, then very fine cornmeal, and frying this -- quite good!

I eat scrapple about 5 times a week. My doctor hates this, of course. I try to explain to her that I'm living on bonus time, in a quality over quantity mode and a let nature take its course mode, and her job is to make my end comfortable, not to extend my life. She, like most doctors, maybe all, would prefer to turn me into some kind of bionic man kept alive with technology. No thanks.

Actually, philosophically I think I should qualify for Oregon's doctor-assisted suicide before I get sick, not after. I've lived a long, blessed life -- and if I chose this option, which I'm not choosing today, I should be able to get it. I think death should be a celebration of life, like a permanent retirement party. The farewell wake. Fat chance, of course, that's what I believe. It's far less lonely and irrational my way. When I do decide to take a hike, no doubt I'll have to go do it alone in the worst of circumstances because I live in such an irrational culture. Pisses me off.

No comments: